Thursday, February 4, 2010

After Midterm Review

The review.
Well I was a little disappointed in how little most people were paying attention to each others blogs and general progress.
We were told to pin up some questions we had about our work next to our photos on the wall. Then we walked around and posted questions we had about other peoples work.
Most of the questions I received asked what the concept of my series was. Or they asked how on earth the images related to one another. I suppose if everyone came into the crit a bit more informed I would have felt like I received better feedback. Regardless this gave me a lot of time to think about how I am going to give an artist statement and also how I am going to display the titles of my images.
It was suggested in critique that I explore using a diptych. One side would ask the question and the other side would answer it. I will post soon some samples of the work being displayed in such a manner.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I follow you! Titles may have helped. I like the diptych idea with the title next to the image, or a google search bar/"do you mean?" theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the nature of your project I think that people may have been a little confused during the critique just because it was hard to pinpoint your work to the ideas (the google searches). After we started discussing your work, which I knew the concept beforehand, I was able to understand the theories behind each photograph. I definitely think that the search titles are necessary in understanding your work, they give context and meaning. Don't feel discouraged, I think that the diptych idea is great and keep exploring those ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew your idea from the start, mostly cause I thought it was a great idea (jealous :)), and I couldn't wait to see how you went about doing it. When the midterm came around though, I did have a bit of a difficult time figuring out which work was yours. I think that text is most definitely neccessary in your case because without it, it is very hard to understand the underlying ideas behind the images. I really like the diptych idea and can't wait to see the outcome, but I definitely think you should play around with the presentation alot. After all the project sounds fun so why not have alot of fun with it?

    ReplyDelete